Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Success!

You know what's awesome?  Well, I'll tell you.  What is awesome is pulling off an amazingly epic surprise birthday party.  It's especially excellent when the party is for your (and I say this with love) very Type A personality sister who is *ahem* the one who usually calls the shots.

For the past six weeks my younger sister, Step-Mom and myself have been scheming and wheeling and dealing in order to make this happen.  I practically felt like I was planning a wedding!  Not only do you have the usual party plans: tables, chairs, linens, flowers, cake, food - you also have the added pressure of the secrecy of everything. 

Because it had to be great.  This was a milestone birthday for Type A, the big four-oh, so we really wanted to do it in style.  Once the plans were set in motion that both my parents would come up from Florida, they furthered the craziness by flying my two brothers in from across the country.  Oh, yeah.  We figured, even if she did suspect there was some kind of party or event happening - having the far-off brothers appear would never enter her mind.

Turns out the toughest part was getting her OVER to my house where we were all waiting!  I will say one thing - I don't think it's good for my blood pressure to plan too many of these things.  As the time neared, every car that came around the bend of our road was a sign for me to yell, "Quiet! they're coming!"  Only to turn out not to be them.  Like three times.  FINALLY, they arrived. 

And as the surprisee later said, "I almost had a heart attack!"  We got her SO GOOD!  Man, that is satisfying.  Almost worth all the stress before hand.  She freaked and flipped out at seeing everyone and generally felt as special as she should.  Because she deserved every minute of it, being the awesome person that she is.  Type A and all.

It was, in her words, "Off the charts."  And I really couldn't have asked for more then that.  Of course, I think we were all a little sorry the next day when "off the charts" became "epically hung-over". To say I was useless at work is the understatement of the year!  But what the hey, it only happens once.  Boy, did we make the most of it! 

(Which is also part of the reason I haven't been around much this past week, looking forward to catching up with everyone!)

13 comments:

Christy said...

Wow that sounds fantastic. Bravo to you!

AC said...

woohoo! congratulations on pulling off the epic surprise! hopefully you'll have an extra quiet week to recover. :)

Zip n Tizzy said...

All I can say is, "You are awesome!"

That's so cool. She must have felt so special.

Carolyn...Online said...

I can't think of anyone who deserves a Surprise Party more. And by all accounts it was one for the records.

for a different kind of girl said...

I've never planned a surprise party, but cripes, I think my adrenaline was pumping just reading what you had to pull off! How fantastic your brothers could be there, too!

The Floydster said...

How cool is that!!! Congratulations on pulling it off. This will bring smiles every time you remember, for the rest of your life. Well done!

minivan soapbox said...

I love parties like that! I tried to throw a surprise party for my husband once...and some jerk wad blew the surprise like 2 days before the party...Thought I was going to kill him! Glad you pulled it off!

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

Congrats! I love surprises! I tried to throw one for my mom once, but being kinda type-A myself, got a little overzealous about people keeping it secret. My mom's friends still refer to me as The Director.

It's all about fear. Make them afraid and they won't spoil the surprise...

Sara said...

I've never been to a surprise party that wasn't ruined... so congrats to you!!!

MsPicketToYou said...

excellent. so great.

i luvs me a surprise, but um, where was my invite?

The Queen said...

Good job, I couldn't have done it.. I get to wound up and start thinking of all the oh what if's and freak out.. Planning is not my best trait.. I am more the.. let's see if we can pull this off tomorrow...with no planning.... now.. send the left over booze to the castle... thanks..

msprimadonna67 said...

I'm impressed! I threw my sister a 40th birthday party, which turned out GREAT, but I don't think I could have done it as a surprise. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Awesome! I have to plan Steve's 40th this weekend. This is not a surprise, but it's going to be a lot of work. Good job on yours.