Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bright lights, Big....food

I love grocery stores.  Ever since I was a kid going to the local Almacs with my Mom, I have been drawn to them.  I vividly remember that Almacs too.  The first aisle had all the canned goods on the left.  Slanted shelves so the cans could be loaded from the back and move up when one was taken from the front.  Making that sshhh-klank! sound as they all rolled forward.

I always wanted to go when shopping day rolled around.  Even for the little in-between trips.  I would actually get upset as a kid if one of my parents went without me.  Once I learned to drive - although I didn't do the Big Shop - I could be relied upon for the quick trips.  When I was in college my dorm was two blocks away from a Star Market.  Sometimes I would go and just walk around the aisles.  Not a dime in my pocket, just window shopping at the grocery store.  I would inevitably feel cheered up when I left.

I can't explain the love, exactly.  I mean, I do love food - but it's more than that.  Grocery stores are always bright.  They are orderly and clean.  For the most part, the people are friendly. And you can find some interesting things on those shelves.   There's just something about crossing items off my list as I wander the aisles that satisfies me.  Looking at rows of colored fruit and vegetables appeals to me.  Seeing a good deal on a frequent purchase gives me a little joy bubble.  (Okay, that's kind of embarrassing to admit, but I'm leaving it in here.)

Has some of the happiness effect of grocery stores worn off over the years?  Well, I wouldn't be honest if I didn't make note of the fact that it's not as much fun with one, or two whining kids in tow.  And it was definitely better when it was my parents paying for it all!  But overall, I still love going.  Want me to pick anything up for you?

13 comments:

Logical Libby said...

I love, love, love grocery shopping. It is my favorite chore. When we go out of town I like to look in other stores to see how they differ.

Glad to see I am not alone...

for a different kind of girl said...

I share this joy and fascination with you! I actually can't believe when my boys don't want to run to the grocery store with me when we just need milk or bread! I make lists, but it takes me forever some days, because I wander the aisles slowly and look for all kinds of new treasures!

Christy said...

Too funny - I LOVE grocery shopping too. Even with my daughter in tow. Granted, she's just learning to talk - but she's a happy little baby so we make a great pair. I especially love grocery shopping in foreign countries when we're on vacation - that's always one of the highlights of the trip for me!

justsomethoughts... said...

i have a similar feeling for 24 hour stores. something about them always having the light on. makes me feel safe in some way.
ok.
i'm weird.
i admit it.

Leslie said...

As the granddaughter of grocers, yeah!

bernthis said...

Great news, than you can go for me. I hate going. Maybe it's b/c I'm such a sucky cook.

anymommy said...

Another grocery lover here. But, only, only, only if I can go by myself. I have to drag things one through four with me and we have to use the "car" cart...no thank you, waffles for dinner.

Jack Steiner said...

I want to know why grocery stores have 25 checkout stands but only man 3 of them at a time.

Captain Dumbass said...

Could you take my father-in-law shopping? That would be great.

Zip n Tizzy said...

I hate clothes shopping, even when I've had money to spend, but love grocery stores and hardware stores. I think you're right... it's all in the order.
Clearly we're not alone!

magnoliaamber said...

I love going to groceries, too, i's part of childhood memories!

Lovely...

minivan soapbox said...

Wanna pick me up a 12 pack while you're there? Thanks hon! (hate the grocery store...)

Carolyn...Online said...

Hate the grocery store and the daily trip. Can you do ALL my shopping from now on? That'd be super.