Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Conversations with the Wonderboy

This past Saturday I had to stay at work late and our sitter had to work in the evening so she ended up dropping the kids at my work at 5pm for them to hang out until I was finished.  Luckily, not only is this okay with the powers that be, my kids are also pretty used to hanging out there.  They were incredibly good. Especially considering we didn't get out of there until 7pm.  By the time we were rolling out, the evening wedding's cocktail reception was in full swing.  That is not something the kids are used to since when I do have to bring them with me it's usually midweek and daytime.

As we started on the drive home I mentioned to the Wonderboy if he liked getting a chance to see all the people enjoying themselves - since it's usually so quiet when he's been there.  And if I had know where that was going to lead, I probably would have just turned up the radio.

Me:  "So, that was cool, huh? Seeing all those people at the wedding?  Now you know what it's like when it's really busy."
WB:  "Yeah! Why can't you marry your sister again?"
Me: "......Um. It's against the law."
WB: "But why?"
Me:  "......" In my head I am trying to figure out how I can talk about genetics and blood relations and birth defects with a six year old and then - oh, that would mean talking about where babies come from and....
"It's against the law."

WB: "Well, I'm going to marry Elizabeth." (Girl in his grade he has liked for the past two years)
Me:  "You have lots of time to decide who you are going to marry."
WB:  " I HAVE decided already." 
Me:  "Well you can't GET married for a long time."
WB:  "I know that Mama.  Wouldn't it be cool, if you were still working where you work now, I could get married there!"
Me:  "Yeah, honey. That would be neat."  (Please kill me if I am still working there in 20 years!!)
WB:  "I would be really proud, to get married there, where you work."
Me:  "Aw, that's nice hon."
WB:  " And then, I could come back to your office and visit you!"
Me:  ".....Um, I think I would probably be at the wedding, Sweetie.  I probably wouldn't be working..."
WB:  "Oh. Yeah, I guess so."

Love you too, kiddo.

16 comments:

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Too funny! I love "(Please kill me if I am still working there in 20 years!!)"

anymommy said...

Big of him, to invite you and all ;-) I love these conversations.

Captain Dumbass said...

Hmm, incest or why your urine isn't different colours like orange or red or black? I'm going to stick my son's questions.

for a different kind of girl said...

The heart wants what the heart wants, huh? He should probably wait until at least sixth grade to make those long lasting relationship decisions, though!

(And seriously, I'm with you on the long-term job tenure thing. Lately, five years feels like I've hit my 20 mark)

Zip n Tizzy said...

Oh, but he enjoys those visits with you so much... You're not going to give him a break between the toast and the first dance?!

T get's mortified if the girls so much as say hello to him. I can't imagine he's got any wedding plans so far.

msprimadonna67 said...

Very cute: )

Susan said...

Is Elizabeth a blood relative? And if he marries her, maybe you would be hiding in your office?

bernthis said...

how lovely he actually wants you there.

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

I love these candid kid conversations about such serious stuff. Last year my daughter asked if she could live with us after she gets married. Because she never wants to move away from me.

Awww. I know!

I was like, sure, but what about when you have babies and they need bedrooms for themselves?

She said she wasn't having babies because it hurts too much and she would just rather live with me, so I could make her favorite bbq chicken rollups for dinner all the time.

Love, love, love.

Carolyn...Online said...

You'll totally be working at the wedding. I've seen you at an event - any event - you can't help it.

Pearl said...

Such a nice boy! :-)

My son, at that same age, offered me a room in his house "when you're old" and let me know that I would only have to watch his kids when I wanted to. :-) So I got THAT taken care of...

Pearl

Vic said...

My son is in the sixth grade. He's been in love with the same little girl since second grade. Swears they're going to get married some day.

She doesn't know he exists, sadly.
But if it works out for them, can they get married at your work? :)

AC said...

hi-larious!

Leslie said...

At least he doesn't want to marry your sister. Because that would be TOTALLy awkward.

Maggie May said...

These kinds of convos are the best.

antiwinterrr said...

umm excuse me I thought WB wanted to marry ME?!?!???? ughh!!