Wednesday, May 19, 2010

And the Prodigal Son returns

As TNC (my step-mom) said, "He walked on that plane like he was getting on a bus.  Not a bit of worry in sight."

Which is exactly how he came off the plane.  In the Iron Man t-shirt that my Rent's got for him on, I think, his first full day - that I'm pretty sure he wore almost every day he was down there.  He had such a great time.  Lots of golf cart trips with Papa and Sadie (the dog). 

I figure it's okay if the dog is not anonymous

So many times going to the pool that even he lost count!  Movies, ice-cream, carousel rides, zoo trip, a visit to Ripley's Believe it or Not! that we all thought he would be totally into but apparently, "scared me to death!" 

I can't understand at all why he would be scared?!

Couple of highlights that I want to remember for him:
The first leg of his flight circling Baltimore for an hour and a half because of weather - and him getting off and saying, "That was the best ride of my life!"  Also, having his picture taken with the captain of the plane (once they'd landed.) 

Seeing a group of World War II veterens on the stopover in Baltimore and insisting on going around to all of them and saluting.  Also asking TNC if she would take his picture with a couple of them. *sniff!*

Taking his first golf cart ride at 1AM in the morning when they finally made it to the house!

Going to the pool three times on his first full day there.  And multiple times every day thereafter.

Having my parents bring him to Target so they could buy him underwear because they couldn't find where I'd packed it *ahem, zippered suitcase pocket*.  Guess they aren't into the whole "commando" thing.

Doing one page in his "vacation journal" which was homework from his teacher.  Which resulted in me cracking the whip at 9PM last night so we could GET IT DONE, please god!!!

Visting the zoo.  Coolest part - petting the stingrays and the water park!  (Literally, since it was something like 90 degrees.)

Stingrays are awesome


Oooo, cooling.
(I would just like to say that none of the other people in this picture are related to me.
Expecially the chick with the pink hair.)

Meeting the pilot on every single plane he was on.  Also going into the cockpit. 

And for me?  Seeing the Pixie go running up to him and give him a huge hug when he came off the plane. So sweet.  Of course, that changed within fifteen minutes of being in the car together.  But, that was to be expected...

Thanks, all, for your support.  It was tough - and we missed him.  Although, as I emailed to Deckside Thoughts, he was still a punk to me over the phone on his second day there, so that tempered the missing just a bit!

9 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

What are the chances your dad and stepmom would be open to having me come down next spring for a little vacation? Wonderboy's trip sounds like it was hella awesome and I think I need in on some kind of action like that!

Cheryl said...

FADKOG, this is the second time I've seen you schmoozing other people for a vacation. You definitely need a vacation.

Back to this...

I'm so glad he had a blast and am jealous he got the royal treatment by the pilots. The cockpit is where I've always wanted to ride.

I love the idea of him saluting all the soldiers on his layover. And darn it, I want me one of them Iron Man Ts.

Logical Libby said...

Ripley's scared me too. I couldn't believe I spent money on that crap.

Glad he's home safe!

msprimadonna67 said...

Sounds like a great trip for him!

One Photo said...

You are a wonderful Mom for encouraging your son to and through this entire adventure, something he will always remember as his first solo venture from home. You have given him his wings and now he has learnt to fly.

The Queen said...

oh you are such a good person to be able to do this.. no way I would have been that brave.. mine was in high school when she took her first solo flight.. and someone else had to put her on the plane.. momma couldn't do it..

Zip n Tizzy said...

What a fabulous and unforgettable vacation.
You have such a great family!
What did YOU do while he was gone? And did his sister enjoy being an only for a week?

bernthis said...

Glad he had such a good time. Even "gladder" he's home with you now.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Wonder Boy, for saluting those veterans! (That makes up for him being a punk on the phone, right??) =>